After a British proposal the 1878 Berlin Congress permitted Austria-Hungary to occupy and govern Bosnia-Herzegovina instead of Turkey.Railways were built primarily as strategic military facilities and they were connecting southern Adriatic ports with cities in the hinterland and with Central Europe.
Dubrovnik requests to connect Gruž (Dalmatian and Zelenika railway) with the railway track Sarajevo-Metković (Narenta railway).
The Zenica–Sarajevo extension opened in 1882, with a loading gauge the same as that used on 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) gauge railways, which was thought to be sufficient for general traffic including passenger services. The Brod–Zenica–Sarajevo (Bosna railway) Bosna Bahn provided the basis for the narrow-gauge railway network which was later established in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Southern Line, and the first section of that railway from Metković-Mostar (Narenta railway), in the length of 42.4 km, was opened for traffic on 13 June, 1885. The swiss engineer Heinrich Klose started with the construction of special gear locomotives to handle the big slopes (Bradina-Podorosac) in direction Konjic-Sarajevo.
Track Ostrožac-Konjic (Narenta railway) was opened on 10.11.1889. Austria-Hungary accepts the inquiry for the track extension to Dubrovnik and Boka-Kotorska (Igalo, Herceg Novi, Zelenika) which was requested 1880.
The complete track between Sarajevo-Metkovic (Narenta railway) is finished (134,7km).
Measurements and environment preparation starts on the track Gabela-Dubrovnik (Dalmatian and Zelenika railway).
Star building the railvay section Gabela-Dubrovnik-Zelenika (Dalmatian and Zelenika railway)
15. i 16. July 1901. the track from Gabela-Dubrovnik-Zelenika (Dalmatian and Zelenika railway) was opened.
The end of BosnianGauge starts at 1966 where section Čapljina-Mostar-Sarajevo was closed. The last sections (East Bosnian) were closed at 1978.
Bosnabahn (BHStB); 355.2 km, built 1872-1898
Bosnische Ostbahn (Bosanska istočna pruga) 166.4 km, built 1906.
Narentabahn (Neretvanska pruga); 178.4 km, constructed 1885 – 1891.
Dalmatiner Bahn (Dalmatinska pruga); 188,6 km, built 1901.
The narrow-gauge railways were served by the steam engine called “Ćiro“. This were several locomotives which were build in the 19th and at begining of 20th century. Here are some presented:
Used in the flat section Metković–Mostar with a train weight of 16,8 t. Hauled load 163 t.
On the curvaceous section between Mostar-Konjic with a gradient up to 10 thousandth the JDŽ 189 (IIIa4) is used. Hauled load was 175 t. Thanks to their Klose steering axles, the tracks with the tight corners were sparing
Between Konjic and Sarajevo tender machines IIIb4 (JDŽ 195) with combined adhesion and gear drive was used. On the actual Raštelica-Konjic mountain track, trains with a wagon weight of more than 60 tonnes to the load of 110 tonnes were carried by a train and a sliding locomotive or the train was splited in two.
A newer version of JDŽ 195 (IIIc5) was delivered between 1894 bis 1919. The machines had in contrast to their predecessors two instead of one wheel shaft.
Since 1903 (1903–1949) delivered by Krauss Linz was a tender locomotive.
Advanced version of JDŽ 83 locomtive. This loco was constructed by the machine factory from Budapest (Hungary).
It was the first generation of a diesel train introduced in 1938. Builded by Ganz from Budapest and machine factory Slawonski Brod.
The second version of the diesel train. In use between 1963-1969. Build in the Jugoslavian manufacturer "Ðuro Ðaković"
Build between 1907–1913 by Krauss Linz, MÁVAG. One exemplar is a museum piece in Jablanica within the WW2 Monument for the "Battle of Neretva"
Used for the East Bosnian railway, over the Šargan-Gebirge (Šarganska osmica - Šarganska eight). Build in 1913 and the 2nd series in 1916. They were able to carry 350 tons at a gradient of 15 ‰ and a trailer load of 28 ‰ 180 tons at an average speed of 15 km / h.
The JDŽ 185 (IIIa5) was mostly used for the Dalmatian and Zelenika railway track. In years 1900 und 1901, 45 peaces was delivered. The second series was the JDŽ 186. Max speed was 45 km/h.
5 peaces of UNRRA (United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration) locomotives arrived Jugoslavija after WW2 as an help package from US. The locomotives used on the Dalmatian and Zelenika railway track. Because of a bad impact to the railway track they were not used for long time.
BosnianGauge track map shows you the way of the old railway with all interesting attractions of this time, POI's which was relevant for running this greatful reailway. Have fun to make a deep dive in history of this rare railway!Map of BosnianGauge track!
Feel free to email us for some feedback, give us suggestions for new POI's and provide new images arround the railway, or just to say hello!